Last fall, USA Gymnastics engaged Deborah Daniels, a former federal prosecutor, to conduct a full review of the well-being of athletes — particularly in terms of sexual abuse complaints against children.
Daniels conducted 100-page report of the misconduct, which has been released to the public, concluded that the USA Gymnastics organization needs a complete cultural shift to ensure a change in culture that protects its athletes from sexual abuse. Daniels provided over 70 recommendations in a professional compliance workbook for the organization to improve in this specific area. Some of which are included below:
* Provide training for the Board of Directors,
* Conduct an annual enterprise risk review,
* Appoint a designated Director and provide for direct reporting to the Board,
* Strengthen the Code of Conduct,
* Develop a disciplinary process for violations of the Code,
* Develop and require training for all members, parents, and athletes,
* Provide for Board oversight of the process,
* Require reporting of abuse and policy violations,
* Expand reporting methods to encourage and facilitate reporting, and
* Provide training on reporting requirements.
Find the full article here: http://complianceandethics.org/cultural-change-urged-usa-gymnastics/